News & Journalism - Top Blogs Philippines

Total Pageviews

Follow Kee_Redden on Twitter

Thrills and treats in La Union

La Union, known as the surfing capital of the North, offers both thrills and treats.

In the quiet town of Pugo lies a nest of adventure that would make you fly like Superman, drive like Masked Rider, and scale heights like Spider-Man.

Fly with the wind

My adventure with the Lakbay Norte group began with a truck ride to the jump-off point of the first in the series of ziplines in Pugad (Pugo Adventure) called the Superman Zipline. The picture explains why.

For 30 seconds, I screamed my heart out as I slid along the 400 meter-long zipline that hung 250 feet above the ground. Rice paddies and little waterfalls were part of the breathtaking view. Then, I landed on the second jump-off point.


To go to the next zipline, I first had to go down the concrete stairway.  The second zipline, which is 250 meters long and 160 feet above the ground, was said to be the fastest among the three ziplines.  Indeed, I found myself in the third jump-off point in 10 seconds.




Transferring to the last zipline was not that easy. The way down, which was a steel ladder made my knees shake. I found a technique though. One should go down in reverse position where you have to hold the handrail using your right hand and descend slowly.

The excitement dropped as I rode the third zipline, which is 250 meters long and 60 feet high. The third one was made for beginners and first-timers. That's why it wasn't as "thrilling" as the other two.

The first zipline, the longest and highest among the three, gave the most fascinating view. It's not for the faint of heart. Yet, some friends, who tried zipping for the first time, had a great time.

Drive like a racer

After the adrenaline-filled ride with the wind, I tried the all-terrain vehicle. Ever since I had my first ATV ride, I have always looked forward to driving on uneven terrains.



When the staff started the engine, I put on my helmet, hopped onto the seat, and zoomed away. It was such an exhilarating ride on the 2.5 kilometer-dirt track. The final obstacle was a four-foot hilly slide.

Climb to the top

Spider-Man wannabes can practice their climbing skills on the wall, which is attached to the steel ladder in the third jump-off point of the zipline.

Rappeling is another activity that's offered at Pugad.

Coffee treat

After an action-packed day in Pugo, we headed to S.O.U.L. Café in Rosario, which is six kilometers away from Pugo. It is the last town where Baguio-bound passengers pass by before going to Kennon Road.

It was relaxing to sip the caramel espresso, which teased the palettes with a bittersweet taste.
The Caramel Espresso was no ordinary coffee. You see, the coffee beans came from the droppings of the Alamid or Civet cat.  I was glad that I saw the droppings after I finished the coffee or else, I wouldn't have tried it. Nevertheless, trying out new things from time to time is always an enriching experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This

free counters